Seance Definition: A meeting of people to receive spiritualistic messages.
The loss of a loved one can have a really deep impact on our lives. Many of us who have lost our spouses, relatives and friends feel we would like to make contact with them if only to say goodbye or ask a vital question.
To make this a reality, many people choose to hold a seance, where contact is made with the deceased person or persons. We suggest you think this decision through carefully – (are you ready to hear the answers and the truth, for example?) but if you have decided that you really DO want to hold a seance there are three factors that are important to consider.
For a seance to be successful, first establish its purpose.
Who would you like to contact, what would you like to say to or ask them and why?
Next, you will need to focus on the people or ‘sitters’ you wish to include in your seance circle. Who they are and what they believe is very important in determining how open your group is to possible contact.
Lastly, consider your location – where you hold a seance is extremely important and could influence the degree of contact that is achieved and/or completely disrupt it and make any form of connection impossible.
* The Seance Medium: It is preferable to choose a seance medium who is experienced and open to the process. He or she will help guide the sitters and can also help in determining whether the three factors listed above are optimal for contact. Of course, if you wish, a seance can be held by a person with little or no experience but the more adept the medium is at handling mental chatter and external influences and tuning them out – the greater your chance of success.
* The Seance Purpose
Before you hold a séance you need to make sure you clearly understand its purpose. You might want to contact a lost loved one or friend or meet up with your spirit guide. It is even possible to conjure apparitions. Either way, the clearer your intent and the more directed the energy of the sitters-the more successful you are likely to be.
For this reason it is very important that all the sitters have the same goal in mind and are willing to focus their energy in that direction. It is the job of the medium to question and explain all the details to each sitter in turn so that all who attend the séance are of one mind.
* The Seance sitters:
All sitters need to express a firm desire to be involved in the séance. Any unwillingness on the part of those who attend will disrupt the process. Never force anybody to be involved against their will. Your sitters must be:
1. People who really want to be there. A serious and solemn attitude is helpful combined with a positive and directed feeling.
2. Family or friends of deceased loved ones. They should be objective and balanced and avoid a desperate or needy attitude towards possible contact. They should be patient and accepting of the process and the outcome – whatever that may be.
3. People who have a loving and open attitude. The spirit world communicates through a loving vibration and it is this open channel between this world and the next that enables communication.
* People You Should Avoid:
1. Anybody who is cynical or skeptical about the process. These people will act as broken links in a chain.
2. A frightened or superstitious person. Fear will block all communication as the spirit world prefers knowing they are being welcomed by all parties.
3. Anybody who has hatred for others in the circle or outside of it.
* Your Seance’s Location:
To hold your seance, you will need to find the perfect location. Choose a neutral place- one free from outside noise and any possible disturbances. If a seance has been held there successfully before then that is the ideal choice OR you might choose to hold your seance in a place connected to the express purpose of the seance, such as the home of the deceased or a place he or she had a special love for. Personal possessions vibrate with energy and may accentuate a connection. You may also bring personal objects to a more neutral setting if you like.
* The Seance Process
When everyone is present, talk quietly amongst yourselves until everybody is settled. Now you are ready to begin.
* Form a circle – preferably around a table or on straight-backed chairs. The sitters must be close enough to hold hands but they should avoid touching their knees together. Dim the lights or use candles so that the room is not overly bright and each sitter is visible. Music may be helpful in creating the right, gentle atmosphere. Play some soft, meditative sounds in the background.
* Now the seance medium will mention that the love vibration should be invoked by all the sitters. After this the purpose of the seance is stated aloud. If a spirit guide is sought-remind the sitters to remember all they see, feel and hear for later sharing.
If the purpose is to conjure apparitions the instructions are the same as these visions will be seen in the minds eye.
If the group is trying to make contact with a lost loved one they are told to send the love vibration out to that person as well as to hold them in firm remembrance.
* Seance Sitters should be reminded to avoid welcoming any silly or superficial vibration into the circle. If it comes in, it should be rejected and the sitter should wait for more meaningful messages.
* Sitters are allowed about 30 minutes in this state of loving remembrance and then the medium should softly bring them back into the circle and open their eyes.
* Once they are alert, the sitters can start sharing their experience with everybody in the group. Things to look out for are any messages of a deep or profound nature. Be aware of several messages with the same content received by many members of the group or visions of a similar nature or feelings that are clear to many people in the group.
* If you would like to record the message part of the seance, then do so for future reference.
A seance can be a very loving, healing and energizing experience for everybody who chooses to be a part of the process. Get rid of your fears, hatred and skepticism and you will be well on your way to a successful meeting with the spirit world. These tips on how to hold a seance are a good start in understanding the process and should form the foundation of your gathering.
Conclusion: This is a brief introduction and you probably have many more questions on how to hold a seance so do as much research as possible to get the most out of this bridge to the other side. Once you have made contact you should feel more settled and peaceful in your grieving and be able to move on with a new understanding of yourself and your loved ones.